1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
Attended a sibling's wedding! My brother had a beautiful 3-day Indian wedding. I got to wear a Sari. I also got to see David Sedaris and Patton Oswalt for the first time. And I took my son to his first big concert, Imagine Dragons.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I totally failed at my resolution to give 50% of my tips to the homeless. I did my best to save up, but we got notice in May that we were gonna have to move and after that, all of my extra money (of which there was surprisingly little) went to the house fund.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My baby brother and his beautiful bride just had baby named Maya. I can't wait to meet her.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My grandmother did. The hardest thing about losing her was that we weren't close.
5. What countries did you visit?
This one. I'm still hoping to take the kids to Mexico this winter though!
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
7. What dates from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Moving out of the House of Yes on November 3rd. It was hard and it brought about a lot of changes, 90% of which are really great, 10% of which are truly tragic.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Moving back to Vancouver for my kids. It turned out to be a bigger sacrifice than I expected, but as my friend Jenn says, you never regret any decision you make for the good of your children. It was very much the right thing to do.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not knowing that Patrick wasn't as happy as he seemed.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yup. Broke the cartilage in my left knee. No more running for me!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
This newfangled Macbook is pretty sweet, but I'd definitely have to say my new bike.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Eliot's. They might be the most stalwart, stoic, hard-working person I've ever known. Always happy to pitch in. So wonderful with my daughter. Supportive and thoughtful and just... yeah. I'm so grateful to have them in my life.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Honestly, I hate to admit it, but several times this year it was Patrick.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food and rent, I think. This new house wasn't cheap to get into.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2015?
Hello by Adele, damnit!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- a) happier or sadder? Sadly a lot sadder.
- b) thinner or fatter? the same, actually. At least within five pounds.
- c) richer or poorer? Poorer. Moving and Christmas wiped out my savings.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my kids, my boyfriend, his kiddo and all the basement dwellers. It was a lovely reunion.
21. Did you fall in love in 2015?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Definitely Sense8. Although I actually watched much more tv than I usually do.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Same responses as the last three years: No. I can't think of ANYONE I hate. I'm not a hater. I definitely ended a friendship this year and as painful as it was, I don't regret it.
24. What was the best book you read?
I still haven't finished it yet, but The Metabolic Storm is blowing my mind.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Adele's new album was the only thing I purchased, so let's go with that.
26. What did you want and get?
A new start with my youngest sibling. It's been really wonderful rekindling that relationship. I'm so grateful they're giving me a second chance.
27. What did you want and not get?
Pattycakes Bakersman as my life partner.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Star Wars, of course.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 39. We had just moved down to the basement, so I'm pretty sure it was low-key.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Comfortable shoes. That only took me 39 years.
32. What kept you sane?
Sam and Terry. Ramona. (My magical therapist). Dave, honestly, for being so helpful with the kids.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
35. Who did you miss?
Becca Long, one of my childhood besties.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I met several wonderful people at Oregon Country Fair this year. Wish I could see them more!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"If this is my last night with you
Hold me like I'm more than just a friend
Give me a memory I can use
Take me by the hand while we do what lovers do
It matters how this ends
Cause what if I never love again?"