Last year, I made two new year's resolutions: to stop swearing and stop talking about other people behind their backs. Both were complete FAILURES, so I'm not sure what I'll vow to do differently next year; we'll see. For now, I thought I'd do this fun year-end quiz from Linda at All & Sundry (seriously my most-favorite blogger out there). If you're up to it, complete it yourself and send me the link so I won't miss it.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Chopped my hair off, had a root canal, weaned a kid (on purpose), started a novel.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No, not even CLOSE. But I think I'll make some new ones this year anyway.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! My cousin Amber. My friend Annagrace. My oldest friend in the world, Rebecca. Two second babies and a first baby. I hope I'm not forgetting anyone.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Fortunately, other than Carol's (evil) dog, Pandy, no.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Patience. Presence. Kindness.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The election will undoubtedly stand-out forever.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Weaning Genoa. Growing my own tomatoes (even if they never ripened on the vine). Starting my novel.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Staying present with my kids. Balancing their needs with mine. It's a work in progress.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had my first root canal under general anesthesia; does that count?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Probably my MacBook. Either that or our new TV. Technology! It's what's for dinner!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
The house. Food. Savings. Inside the gun safe.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Halloween. This year was a stand-out.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Flightless Bird, American Mouth by Iron and Wine from the Twilight soundtrack. (From the last scene where Bella and Edward are dancing outside). I love it even though I have no idea what on earth the lyrics could possibly mean.
No, seriously, these are the lyrics. Your guess is as good as mine.
I was a quick wet boy, diving too deep for coins
All of your street light eyes wide on my plastic toys
Then when the cops closed the fair, I cut my long baby hair
Stole me a dog-eared map and called for you everywhere
Have I found you
Flightless bird, jealous, weeping or lost you, american mouth
Big pill looming
Now I'm a fat house cat
Nursing my sore blunt tongue
Watching the warm poison rats curl through the wide fence cracks
Pissing on magazine photos
Those fishing lures thrown in the cold
And clean blood of Christ mountain stream
Have I found you
Flightless bird, grounded, bleeding or lost you, american mouth
Big pill stuck going down
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Neither.
b) thinner or fatter? Neither.
c) richer or poorer? Sadly, MUCH poorer. The value of our house has lost at least six figures.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Exactly how I hope to spend it for the next two decades: at home with my children.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I think I might have fallen in love with writing again. More on that soon.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Probably True Blood. Either that or Mad Men. It's a tie.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't hate anyone.
24. What was the best book you read?
The Twilight series, no contest. Although Lonesome Dove would be a close second.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That I finally figured out how to burn a CD from iTunes. It only took two days and a few dozen TEARS.
26. What did you want and get?
Almost everything. I am incredibly spoiled.
27. What did you want and not get?
A new couch? Peace and quiet, mostly.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 32 and I spent the evening getting looped with my old California buddies. God I miss them.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Finally giving up and just going with the Ugg boots. But with cuter hair!
32. What kept you sane?
This here blog and all y'all readers. Thanks for that.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Fancy? What is this, Bridget Joneses Diary or something? I'm not much of one to "fancy" celebrities. There is a super hot model (see page 6) in the Rochester Big & Tall catalog who I look forward to seeing every month at the mailbox. Does that count?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election in general. But if I had to pick a SINGLE issue, it would probably be gun control, which I am resolutely AGAINST.
35. Who did you miss?
My California friends, especially Jamie and Deneen.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
My friend Jennifer. Not only is she funny and sweet, but the woman is made of steel. She's somehow managed to keep her head courageously above the water during a year that would've easily drowned the rest of us.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Four drinks is my official limit.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I was a quick, wet boy..."